Friday, January 15, 2016

Visiting the Academy of Fine Arts, Kolkata


The beautiful Academy of Fine Arts in Kolkata, West Bengal, India 



The 1950's building sits beside St. Paul's Cathedral on Cathedral Road. This is the second location for the oldest fine arts societies in India. It is really an honor for me to be able to have a solo exhibition here.






On my first visit to the Academy, I am experiencing the space in order to plan the installation of my exhibition. The main gallery is a very long room with good wall space. It will be very exciting to see all my work on display here.











There is currently a print show by artists from West Bengal and Bangladesh. I enjoyed meeting three of the artists.








This is a sampling from the permanent sculpture gallery:





On display is a portrait of Lady Ranu Mookerjee, a founder of the academy which was originally located in a room in the Indian Museum. 


My next blog post will explore the Indian Museum and highlight treasures of the sculpture collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment