Monday, March 2, 2020

Some Figure Drawings from January and February 2020

One of my resolutions for starting the new decade was to do more figure drawing. My training in college and graduate school focused heavily on the figure and it remained a passion long after leaving art school. I've also spent many additional years teaching Life Drawing and Anatomy courses at the university level, so figure drawing was always on my mind.


Over the past few years the direction of my artistic output changed and I sketched from life less frequently. Now realizing how beneficial the practice is, I'm putting renewed effort into drawing from life. 


I've attended life drawing sessions that are open to the public at Sheboygan Visual Artists and a "Drink and Draw" event at Between Two Galleries in Milwaukee's Fifth Ward where poses are short (ranging from 1 minute to 25 minute poses).

 

I have also joined a private drawing group organized by Studio Blip which meets every other Saturday morning. Poses at those sessions have ranged from 45 minutes to 90 minutes.

Drawing in the Lincoln Warehouse with the Studio Blip Group

Only one model this month was someone I had drawn before. It has been a fun challenge to sketch new people. I find it takes me some time to become familiar with an individual's proportions and to understand how to capture the uniqueness of their facial features.



The following sketches are from six sessions I attended during January and February, 2020. 

















































































Don't forget to check out my artwork available at my Etsy storeFacebook page, as well as my Instagram feed.






No comments:

Post a Comment