Sunday, January 29, 2017

Flower Paintings: Part II

In a previous post "Flower Paintings: Part I" I explained that I am engaged by the challenge of making colorful paintings of white flowers. White Tree Peonies seen below is one of my favorites.  The sharp edges of the green leaves and open line work allow the abstract underpainting to show through, providing surprising interactions of color.



White Tree Peonies
36" x 32"
oil on canvas





I await the day when the beautiful Magnolia tree on the campus where I teach art announces the arrival of Springtime. Often it blooms on the first day that is warm enough to take my drawing students outside to work. Facing south, it catches the sun's warm rays.


Magnolias
30" x 40"
oil on canvas






Pale Pink Double Peonies
30" x 24"
oil on canvas





The lavender shadows on the white daffodil petals contrast here with the flowers' yellow trumpets.


White Daffodils
24" x 30"
oil on canvas





Yellow daffodils are so cheerful!


Daffodils
24" x 30"
oil on canvas





This is my only completed artwork of roses. I find them to be particularly difficult to paint and have made several failed attempts. The loose shape of these climbers is less angular and structured than most roses I've tried to paint.


English Roses
30" x 24"
oil on canvas



I will share images of vibrant red and bright pink peony paintings in my next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment