Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Flower Paintings: Part I

Cutting my peonies down while preparing the garden for the long winter ahead, I am reminded how much I love their lush, colorful blossoms.

I planted varieties specifically with intention to paint them and have tended them to maturity. The vibrant pinks are spectacular and have inspired many oil paintings. Several examples are pictured below.



Pink Peonies II
24" x 30"
oil on canvas
SOLD





Mixed Peonies
30" x 36"
oil on canvas



I enjoy brilliant color. Often bold blocks of color have been used as under paintings to provide surprising color interactions and contrasts with the blooms' hues. However, I find the challenge of making paintings of white flowers vibrant a particularly interesting endeavor.




White Single Peonies
24" x 30"
oil on canvas





Pink Peonies III
30" x 24"
oil on canvas





Foxgloves
24"xx 30"
oil on canvas





White Double Peonies
24" x 30"
oil on canvas





Pink Peonies I
30" x 24"
oil on canvas
SOLD


I will share more of my floral oil paintings in an upcoming post to brighten the dark months ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment