Thursday, March 21, 2019

Artwork on View at Beans and Barley





In January of this year I was attending a gallery night when I saw my long-time friend Allison B. Cooke at a gallery reception. Aside from teaching at and working on her own beautiful paintings, Allison has been for over 30 years helping to boost the local art scene by arranging shows at local restaurant Beans and Barley. She asked me if I wanted to exhibit artwork there and I immediately accepted. 




Special thanks to Allison B. Cooke (right)



Since its founding in 1973, Beans and Barley has been an institution on Milwaukee's East Side. They were among the very first places people could purchase bulk organic and vegan food. Due to a fire, in 1993 "Beans" rebuilt and expanded the store and cafe on the same site which has become a popular destination to meet up in Milwaukee.


Beans and Barley
1901 E. North Ave.
Milwaukee, WI


For this show (my sixth at Beans and Barley since 1987), six of my recent paintings inspired by elements of Rajashan architecture are on display.



The paintings from my "Rajasthan Reimagined" series are painted on hand-blocked Kalamkari fabrics from India. Some hang as scrolls and others are stretched on wood frames.





Also on exhibit are the paintings of another long-time artist friend Jeff Darrow who I have known since the mid-1980's (about the time I first met Allison).


One of Jeff Darrow's paintings on display 


Thanks for reading about this exhibition. It will be up until early in June 2019 at Beans and Barley, 1901 E. North Avenue, Milwaukee, WI.

Don't forget to check out my artwork available at my Etsy store, Facebook page, as well as my Instagram feed.




No comments:

Post a Comment